The Alert Scholarship
You can help others become more alert by speaking out against the dangers of drug and alcohol abuse. All eligible high school seniors (see requirements below) may enter the Alert college scholarship essay contest. With each edition of Alert magazine, Golden West Publications awards a $500 college scholarship to the writer of the best drug and/or alcohol abuse-related essay that we receive for that state/region.
- You must currently be a senior in high school.
- Your high school must be located in one of the following states: Colorado, Idaho, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Washington or Wyoming.
- You must have a grade point average of 2.5 or better.
- You must have plans to attend college after graduation (the college you will attend can be located in any state).
- Write an essay about a personal encounter you or someone you know has had with drug and/or alcohol abuse. In your essay explain how the situation was dealt with, what you learned from it, what others can learn from the experience, and what was right or wrong (in your opinion) about the way the incident or problem was handled. Scholarship essays are judged in the same way that essays written for a high school English class would be: thesis statement, supporting content, grammar, punctuation, etc.
- Essays must be typed, double-spaced, and 650–800 words in length.
- Essays must include an official copy of your high school transcripts.
- Essays must also include a recent photo. Scholarship winners will have their picture reprinted in our magazine along with their winning essay, so please send a good quality color photo (no blurry printouts).
- No application is needed and there is no deadline, but you must meet the eligibility requirements and include all of the items listed above to be considered.
How to Apply:
Mail your essay, transcripts, photo, school name, and contact info (phone number, address,
and e-mail) to:
P.O. Box 4833
Boise, Idaho 83711
Note: All essays submitted are the sole property of Golden West Publications, LLC and are subject to editing for length and/or content. The writer of the winning essay will receive the $500 Alert Scholarship and have his or her essay and photo published in Alert magazine. Winning essays are also published on our website.
Still have questions? Check out the FAQs.